Contrary to what you may expect, I never wanted to be an author. Business came as natural as breathing to me. I enjoyed Consulting and Project Management until the day I realized I had found formulas and solutions for everyone else, but none that worked for me. What began as a brief hiatus, led to writing, to creating spaces for my own unique blend of skills and experience, and for others hoping to do the same.
I was fortunate to live in an area with a strong writing community. There were female authors like myself, who wrote strong female leads, complex stories, and created worlds for both to dwell. Besides sharing aspirations for our writing, our conversations often turned to odd encounters with people who thought we should be writing something else, how twisted a character could actually be, and fight scenes that fell flat, doing justice to neither character, nor story.
I knew having even limited martial arts experience made for better fight scenes. But I, also, learned:
- Most strong female characters are still written by men.
- So are most fight scenes. Not because women can’t, but because they don’t know how
- A weaker story with strong action written by a man, is more likely to be green-lighted, than a strong story with poor action written by a woman.
This impacts other areas, too:
- Women not writing the stories they want to tell.
- Not realizing the potential of their writing beyond the book.
- Approaching writing in ways that neither work for, nor empower, them.
I created #StrongWomenWrite in response to this. But also, because I enjoy the flexibility writing provides, and want women to experience a sisterhood that creates opportunities for their work, and to do good.
Thankfully, #StrongWomenWrite has been well-received by women and men whom we connect, challenge, and engage both on- and offline.
Our core beliefs reflect a broader social mission. That by:
- Approaching writing differently, we position ourselves to realize opportunities beyond the book; creating the life we truly want.
- Our stories have the ability to build platform, helping women regain their voice.
- Connecting and engaging a global sisterhood of authors, we become our own solutions and are better able to address needs.
If you are ready for:
- A different type of writing group
- Women who get you & cheer you on
- Unique insight & perspectives that breathe new life into your writing
You’re in the right place.
Cheers to your journey! No two are the same.